If you and your children enjoy watching your backyard flock–whether chickens, ducks, geese, or turkeys–you will definitely enjoy the lessons found in this ebooklet. Over 50 ways to study math, science, language, art, home economics, and more are included.
Unsure? Here are a few examples:
- If I have 6 chickens that each lay 1 egg per day, how many days would it take me to get 1 dozen? 2 dozen?
- If your chicken weighs 6 pounds before butchering, and 5.2 pounds after dressing, how much did the waste weigh?
- Wash and dry out egg shells. Soak in a strong food coloring solution to dye the shells. Dry again and crush. Glue the crushed shells to paper to make a collage or picture.
- Have your child visit the website for a poultry company. (See the appendix for a few ideas.) Following are several ideas for writing projects from this site:
- Have him choose a page and re-write the ad copy on that page.
- Have him pick his favorite bird and write a description for the catalog.
- Choose poultry breeds that originate in other countries. Find those countries on a world map. Using an almanac, research facts about those countries.
- Watch this video of Julia Child making an omelet. Then, go make your own.
Remember, this is just a sampling. Also included is a page of valuable resources and a list of vocabulary words.
Still not convinced? Here are a few words that others have said about Lessons from the Hen House:
Lessons from the Hen House looks absolutely wonderful. I would be thrilled to do this with my kids.–Heather
If you’re still with me, and would like to have your own copy of Lessons from the Hen House, then you are in luck! I’m holding a drawing for a free copy. To enter the drawing you may do one or all of the following. You will receive one chance per entry. The deadline to enter is next Thursday, March 8th at midnight and the winner will be announced on Friday the 9th. So with no further rambling from me, here is how to enter:
- Leave a comment below.
- Subscribe to the Lessons from the Homestead newsletter.
- Subscribe to the Lessons from the Homestead blog (see sidebar).
- Like the Lessons from the Homestead Facebook fan page.
- Blog, Tweet, or post on Facebook about this giveaway.
- Agree to review Lessons from the Hen House on your blog during the months of March or April.